Get the most out of your distribution center operations with proper product slotting. If you see operators bending and stretching to pick up orders, congestion within picking aisles and operators walking long distances to complete orders - something isn’t right. Poor product slotting could be your problem, but the good news is it can easily be improved.
TranSystems has a number of strategies to solve slotting problems, which leads to labor savings. We can advise on how to better profile and re-slot your products within the existing storage fixtures. In addition, we can identify optimum picking fixtures to reduce replenishment and stock outs. When evaluating your total operation and product slotting opportunities, there are many good questions to ask, such as:
- Does facility layout contribute to (or impede) efficient order and material flow?
- Are there more effective ways to use the building footprint?
- Is the level of warehouse technology appropriate to current and projected activity levels?
- Picking is generally the heartbeat of a warehouse – do stock levels (days of inventory) and picking methods meet expected throughput demands and effectively utilize labor?
- Does the warehouse have the right systems to efficiently manage operations?
- Will present systems, mechanical and operational, support anticipated customer requirements?
Warehouse location sizing and inventory deployment, based upon activity profiles, directly impact space utilization, travel and search times, forward pick zone efficiency and replenishment frequency. TranSystems works with you to profile item/SKU activity (including seasonal variations) and storage and pick slot locations and sizing. Using slotting tools, we will help you to evaluate alternative deployment scenarios and replenishment schemes to optimize productivity and throughput.